File a Citizen Compliment or Complaint Form
The members of the Bergen County Sheriff Office are committed to providing law enforcement services that are fair, effective and impartially applied. It is in the best interests of everyone that your complaint about the performance of an individual officer is resolved fairly and promptly. The Sheriff's Office has formal procedures for investigating your complaint. These procedures ensure fairness and protect the rights of both citizens and law enforcement officers.
- Your complaint will be sent to a superior officer or a specially trained internal affairs officer who will conduct a thorough and objective investigation.
- You might be asked to help in the investigation by giving a detailed statement about what happened or providing other important information..
- All complaints against law enforcement officers are thoroughly investigated. You will be advised in writing of the outcome of the investigation.
- If our investigation shows that a crime might have been committed, the county prosecutor will be notified. You might be asked to testify in court.
- If our investigation results in an officer being charged with a violation of department rules, you might be asked to testify in a departmental hearing.
- If our investigation shows that the complaint is unfounded or that the officer acted properly, the matter will be closed.
- All disciplinary hearings shall be closed to the public unless the defendant officer requests an open hearing.
It is unlawful to provide information in this matter which you do not believe to be true.
BCSO-IAU-01 May 2012